Tuesday, February 19, 2013

It's 2:38 am



It’s 2:38 am. I should be sleeping. I thought tonight I’d get some sleep. Piper’s pups are four days old and doing well. 
I’m still sleeping on the couch to keep an eye on things. Occasionally someone will get stuck behind her or partway under her and cry and cry. So I stay close to rescue pups when needed.

I crashed on the couch about 10:45 tonight (technically last night). It didn’t take long for me to be asleep. Puppy noises woke me up.

Fancy had been a bit restless tonight, but I really didn’t think she’d do anything until tomorrow night. Now how I could tell in my sleepy state that the noises were coming from Fancy’s crate across the room instead of Piper’s crate next to the couch, I’ll never know; “motherly” instincts maybe. ;)

And so the night started. And I wait, because I don’t think she’s done.

Let me just say how pleased I am with Fancy. Granted she did grow to be a bigger Poodle than I had planned. But she has such a wonderful disposition. She’s just a sweet dog! And now to see how well she’s doing as a first time mother, I am thrilled! Her deliveries so far have gone very smoothly. She’s cleaning and taking care of the pups. They all seem very strong and vigorous and it wasn’t long before they were all lined up at the milk counter filling their tummies.

I know I’m being very vague here, giving no details as to how many or what we’ve gotten so far. The first few days after birth can be critical. Occasionally we’ll lose a pup. So it’s easier to wait a few days and make sure everyone is doing well, gaining weight and growing before we share details. Let me just share that we do have both boys and girls and some fabulous colors. I am happy, and tired.

Think maybe I’ll catch a few winks while I wait for more action. Night all! Or should I say, good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment