Thursday, September 26, 2013

The dilemma

So I was at my vet's today for an appointment.

As I waited at the front counter, ready to "surrender" my debit card to the receptionist ;)  the Dr. walks in and starts gathering dogs for an outside potty break. (She takes in a lot of rescued/injured, rehabs and rehomes them.) So of course, she throws out, "Do you need another dog?!" HAHA...yeah, I needed another dog like I needed another horse!

We went out and visited while four dogs (two of hers that had been rescued and two needing homes) played and pottied. There was a 3 month old lab/husky type cross with these gorgeous light eyes and this old "man". He had been found on the highway; no micro-chip, no tag, no owner found. He came in with a female that had already been spayed and successfully placed. The vet thinks he's about 8, although he already had that sunken in look over his eyes and appeared older to me. They think he's a lab mix of some sort. He had the longest, lankiest looking legs though. It reminded me of how some Anatolians are built, although he isn't that big. He just seemed like a sweet, gentle soul.

Of course since we lost our Jack dog, I've thought often about what we would get next. I still have two great watchdogs, Moriah and Echo.So I've only thought about getting another large dog after one of them passes away.

And now my vet has to throw this at me.

I don't need another big dog to feed. Especially one that will just be laying on the front porch, with not enough energy to help "watch". Sorry, if that sounds harsh. That's my practical, bill paying part of me; my "head" that tells me "No" (husband probably will too). But my  gushy, animal loving, sentimental heart says "Yes". Who cares if he isn't a good watch dog. Doesn't the old guy deserve a loving home for his last days. And he might still have many good years left.

What to do. What to do. That's my dilemma.

2 comments:

  1. Can you 'test drive' the old fellow and see how he integrates with your existing four legged staff? First and foremost, he has to accept Pooh as the dynamic leader that we reckon he is based on Fabio's personality. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...that is so true! He and Pooh must get along ;) And yes, to your question, the vet said we can do a trial run. I just have to twist my (non-animal) husband's arm a bit more!

    ReplyDelete